Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Minecraft Birthday Party: Food, and Favors

What do little boys like to do at a party?  Play and EAT fun food!  So, I shopped around for Minecraft themed food items and set the table.  We offered hot dogs as the main dish, and we did our best to encourage some healthier options instead of JUST sugar!  But..... boys will be boys.


Setting the Minecraft food table was so much fun!  I used the food tent cards provided in the digital file pack I purchased HERE.

SWEET


The vanilla cupcakes with grass frosting were easy to make and so delicious.  I used THIS frosting recipe and kelly green Wilton food dye.  These dyes are wonderful and darken up a bit after initial mixing so wait a few minutes when the color is just a tad too light.  It often darkens up perfectly without adding more dye.  To get the grass texture the trick is using Wilton icing tip #233 found HERE.


Good ol' fashioned chocolate chip cookies were snatched up by little hands and eaten rapidly that day.


Using Coco Krispies made the Rice Krispie dirt blocks easy and yummy!


 It was a bit tricky to find gold wrapped candies at local stores here.  I managed to find some caramels at the last minute and they worked very well.


Red licorice was the perfect TNT!  I had these clear plastic canisters that fit 1/3 of a section of licorice inside quite nicely.  1 bag of Twizzlers per canister was just enough.


I don't know what these local candies are called, but they were snatched up as Red Stones, and according to the boys, they were yummy!

SALTY

I am almost embarrassed to admit to how much I paid for these imported Pepperidge Farm fish crackers. Shhh!  Almost $7 USD for the small bag.


Cheese and "trapdoor" pretzel sandwiches worked nicely.


And I was able to find the elusive (here) pretzel sticks.  When living abroad it is always interesting to discover what I can and can't find.  Refer to the ridiculously overpriced Rainbow Fish for an example.

FUN

When I found the box of imported blue Jello (from Australia) and the absolutely perfect reusable plastic containers I HAD to buy them.  The Jello was lemonade flavored, and actually quite tasty.


FRUIT



Obviously we went a bit overboard in the food department.  My husband took a lot of sugary leftovers into work the day after the party.  But, I don't regret going all out for the food table.  It was fun for all involved.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! So much thought went into the planning of each item! What fun!

    ReplyDelete