Sunday, May 25, 2014

What is "Working Mom: Crafter's Edition?"

First off, ALL moms work!  Whether we work in or out of the home we are busy women.  Right? Finding time to stretch our creative muscles often takes creativity in and of itself.  How can we find the time? Where can we work without interruption?  Do we even have the emotional and physical energy available when there is room in our busy day to sew, scrapbook, write, draw.....CREATE?

Is there anyone out there nodding her head in agreement?  Anyone shaking her crafty fist in the air with angst and frustration and dreaming of TIME?  Just. A. Little.  Bit.  Of.  Time.

Well, if you can relate to any of this:  Welcome.  Take a seat, and stay for a minute or two.  I know that's all you have anyway.  Same here.

This blog is not about "doing it all,"  making those adorable school lunches with 30 types of cookie cutters, or being a Pinterest Queen of Creativity.  Those endeavors are not realistic for most of us.  Let's just say it: We don't have TIME for all THAT!  And, that is OK.  Limited time doesn't diminish our value as crafters, creators, and dreamers.  There will be NO competitions or shaming going on here.

This space is where I hope to create a dialogue between working moms (remember, we ALL work!) who enjoy crafting in those stolen moments of free time.  Let's share ideas, tutorials, links, and projects.

Ready?  Me too!

Oh, you might be curious about THIS working mom.  I am a mid-30s American currently living overseas with my husband and elementary school aged son.  I recently went back to work after taking 3 years off. One of the biggest adjustments I have faced in my return to the "work force" has been the mental exhaustion that sucks my creative energy.  Can you relate?  I walk past my sewing machine and I hear it whispering my name.  Every couple weeks I find a way to cut some cloth, maybe sew a little something, but it just barely ever feels like enough.  I love my life and am content in many ways.  However, I really miss my crafting time.

Let's chat.  Let's get to know each other.

A Question For You:

How do you make time to be creative?


2 comments:

  1. Good morning, Carol! I wanted to start off by saying I think this is a great idea! I love the non-judgemental, no pressure to be "Mrs. Pinterest Perfect" premise behind this blog. Because, whether you have one child or nineteen, (maybe Mrs. Duggar will find her way to your page?) all mommies know it's hard to carve out time for yourself. In my situation, I work three days per week just to get away from the chaos of raising three crazy, busy, loud, stinky, but oh-so-loveable boys. My career as a dermatology medical assistant IS my "me" time. Because of that, I often feel ashamed when I feel the crafting or junking urge. I feel selfish, because I know my job already claims so much of my time. To help remedy that, I began involving my kids in my garage saling/junking adventures. They've even started pointing out the garage sale signs when we're driving! They're also pretty crafty kids, just like their mama. My craft room is full of kid-friendly supplies and endless opportunity. Often times, I find myself creating randomness with them (toilet paper tube & cereal box dinosaurs, anyone?) or refinishing furniture in the garage while they ride bikes in the street out front. I believe it's all about balance. Whatever works for you and your family, as long as you get to stretch those creative muscles!
    Good luck on your new blogging adventure, Carol!! Lots of love,
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to say it, but I haven't made time to be creative since Melina was born. She's 5 months now, so perhaps that's okay. :) Before she came, I gave myself 3 days during the summer time (love being a teacher), to create 100 baby thank you cards.
    I have found that in order to be creative, I need to make sure I have a set space where I can lay out my work without it being interrupted if I step away from it (for a few minutes, or a few days). I have a designated "craft corner" (which is overflowing, but I'm happy that it's not all in a closet like it was before).
    I love being inspired by others, so I am very excited about your blog! After reading your Minecraft post, I have the desire to make a whole bunch of pompom balls. :) (I'm sure my husband will love it!) :)

    ReplyDelete